Apply For University of Port-Harcourt, UNIPORT M.Sc. in Gas, Petroleum Refining & Petrochemicals admission form for the 2017/2018 academic session
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) Centre for Gas, Refining and Petrochemicals (CGRP) M.Sc. programme for the 2017/2018 academic session.
The Centre for Gas, Refining and Petrochemicals (CGRP) is one of the NUC-Accredited Centres of Excellence in the Institute of Petroleum Studies (IPS), University of Port Harcourt. The Centre runs a Professional M.Sc. Programme in Gas, Refining and Petrochemical Processing. Our Post-Graduate programme is industry-driven and the curriculum is drawn to impart entrepreneurial skills in our graduates. Twenty percent (20%) of the lectures are taught by industry professionals with cognate experience and qualifications; sixty percent (60%) by University of Port Harcourt, and twenty percent (20%) by collaborating university Professors nationwide in the relevant specializations.
The aim of this Professional Gas, Refining and Petrochemicals Master’s Degree Programme is to provide graduates with broad-based training required for sound refining and processing of crude oil and natural gas. The programme will produce competent and industry-ready Gas, Refining and Petrochemical Processing graduates that will be fully prepared to work in the oil and gas industry at local and international levels. The students will be taught jointly by Lecturers from Nigerian Universities, Professors from oversea countries, as well as experts from the petroleum industry within and outside Nigeria. The programme will be executed under five modules, namely: General, Refining, Gas & Petrochemicals, Modeling &Design, and Project Modules which is culminated by an MSc dissertation.
On completion of this Programme, the Graduates will among other skills, be able to:
- Understand different energy types and role of fossil fuels in global energy mix
- Grasp hydrocarbon chemistry and sequence of crude oil processing operations, including crude oil distillation, refinery equipment, and flow sheet.
- Work on systems of energy recovery networks for refinery and petrochemicals, including monitoring tools
- Learn about petrochemical and natural gas industry and processes, including economic and contractual aspects of the natural gas industry
- Understand major polymer types, plastics, additives and modifiers
- Appreciate conversion processes, including catalytic reforming, and effect of catalysis on reaction rates.
- Work on heat exchangers and their design systems.
- Understand reaction systems, including process flow and control, corrosion, and maintenance of equipment.
- Practice process modeling and simulation of refinery/petrochemical systems
- Understand key goal settings in project management, process system optimization, energy economic and supply chain management, entrepreneurship, and some business theories and models.
Candidates must possess Bachelor’s degree in Chemical/Petrochemical, Gas Engineering, or related courses with a minimum of Second Class Honours (Upper Division). Industry/Company workers with 5 years cognate experience who possess Second Class Honours (Lower Division) with Cumulative Grade Point Average, (CGPA) of 3.00 or above will also be considered.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
The duration of the programme shall be 12 calendar months of intensive full-time study. Industry/Company workers can equally attend modular/sandwich programmes and accumulate credits.
AWARD OF DEGREE
Successful students at the end of the programme shall receive an M.Sc. in Gas, Refining and Petrochemicals of the University of Port Harcourt.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
A non- refundable Application Fee of twenty thousand naira (N20,000) in certified bank draft made payable to the Centre for Gas, Refining & Petrochemicals, University of Port Harcourt, Payment can also be made online via http://www.cgrpng.org/payments. Application Form can be obtained on-line from www.cgrpng.org. The Form should be completed and submitted online. A hard copy of the completed Form along with the Bank Draft should also be submitted in person or via courier to: The Director, Centre for Gas, Refining & Petrochemicals, Institute of Petroleum Studies, University of Port Harcourt, on or before Monday, 14th August, 2017.
Important dates to remember: (Any change will be communicated by e-mail)
- Completed Application Forms must be returned to The Director, Centre for Gas, Refining & Petrochemicals, Institute of Petroleum Studies, University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt on or before Monday, 14th August, 2017.
- Oral Interview holds on Tuesday 12th September, 2017 for short-listed candidates
- Names of short-listed candidates will be displayed on the CGRP Website www.cgrpng.org.
- Academic activities will commence in November, 2017.
For enquiries, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.